Sunday, May 27, 2018

The Madam Of Suburbia Chapter 13


Chapter 13 – Duty Before Love
Tonight is that big charity event, and I'm beyond fucking nervous as we ride in the back of a limo towards it. I'm normally calm when I'm about to take someone out, but this evening is different. I'm not going in alone, but with Amber. The fact her life depends on my actions has me scared shitless. Despite all the planning we've done for the past month, I keep focusing on the fact there's always that chance shit can go sour, and I'll have to watch her die. I need to stop thinking about this, but my heart is dragging me downwards as it focuses on losing the only good thing I had since I landed in Curva.
Amber squeezes my hand while whispering, "You okay?"
"Not really," I whisper back.
"We'll be okay, Jimmy. Quit worrying so much."
"I can't help it," I sigh as we get closer to the charity ball. We made it through the date that night at Homard with any issues, but it was purely a social thing. However, tonight, I have to take down a senator that is trying to push through a bill to make tantrix a class one narcotic. What Blue told us is their kid got hooked on tantrix, and the senator is using his muscle to push this bill through. Our goal tonight is to make sure that this event is the last part the senator attends. This means more security we have to deal with, and if we're caught, we might as well end our lives because we'll be dead one way or the other.
"We'll stick to the plan, and by tomorrow morning, we'll be having pancakes for breakfast."
"Pancakes always works," I say as I fiddle with my black bowtie until Amber slaps my hand away from it. I can't shake the uneasiness of this whole situation as we pull into the mansion where the event is held. I look at her one last time as she looks absolutely stunning in her black dress. I pray this isn't the last time I see her alive as the driver stops the limo. I make sure I have the present for the senator in my inside pocket as the driver opens the door, and we step out.
I take Amber's arm, and we stroll up the marble steps to a massive pair of wrought iron doors. As we make it outside of the doors, one of the guards pats me down hard to the point I almost asked if this comes with a fucking dinner as the other one quickly pats Amber down and checks her purse. Once we're both clear, they unlock the doors and motion us to enter. I adjust my jacket, take Amber's arm, and step inside.
For the next hour, we mingle with the other guests waiting for the target to arrive. I try my best to hide my nerves as I talk to cops, politicians, lawyers, people who would have no problems putting me six feet under if they truly know who I am and what I have done. Far as they know, I'm some partner of a big investment firm as we bullshit about the weather and other trivial topics. Every time they ask about stocks, I make up bullshit and go back to small talk. I might know how trading works on the streets, but I know shit about legit trading.
However, one conversation has really peeked my interest. One of them starts discussing the growing problem with tantrix in Curva. The part that hit a nerve is when he started bashing the sheriff.
"I don't know about the rest of you, but once Sheriff Voustine was elected, the problem has gone out of control," says an old man as he sips on some scotch. "Despite the arrests, it keeps getting worse. I almost feel Sheriff Voustine is being paid to look the other way."
"He's done more good than the last sheriff," another one says. "The last one didn't even arrest the dealers, and look where he ended up? Dead in the swamp."
As they go back and forth over this, I begin to recall that night the fucking pigs roughed me up. When Blue strolled out of the police station like he owned the joint, I begin to wonder if this Sheriff Voustine is the man under the helmet. I'll have to do some research on the sheriff tomorrow to see if I can connect him to Blue, or it's just more political bullshit. If Blue is Voustine, it will explain so much, including the cops showing up the instant I left that warehouse carrying all that tantrix.
Amber strolls over to me and whispers, "They're here."
"Ready to do this?" I whisper back.
"I'm going to powder my nose for a minute. I'll give you the signal when I'm ready."
I give her a quick kiss and reply, "Don't take too long."
As she walks away, someone gabs a pistol into my side hard.
"Don't turn around. Just walk forward," they order.
I walk forward as the pistol stays buried into my lower chest. They guide me through the ballroom to a hallway. As we make it to the end, the door to my left opens, and they force me inside. Sitting at the desk at the back of the room is Amber. In front of me is another fucking suit holding a shotgun pointed at my chest. The person behind me kicks me knee, causing me to kneel down.
"Hands on your head," orders the goon with the shotgun.
"You're fucking dead to me, you backstabbing bitch," I say as they cuff me.
"Sorry, Jimmy, but no one is killing the senator," she replies.
"What was I to you? A fucking dildo?" I shout as the first time I opened my heart up to someone, she fucking rips it out and throws it to the ground like it's a piece of fucking trash. I was worried about tonight ending in her death, but it's my life that's now over. I should have learned my fucking lesson with Donnie, but I let feelings guide my decisions. I should have remained the cold, heartless monster that left the swamp, and not even let this fucking tramp into my life. Now, she's going to fuck me over for good because by tomorrow, I'll be resting next to Gus if I'm not killed here.
The goon with the shotgun slams the butt of it into my chest and says, "That's no way to talk to a federal agent."
"You mean that heartless bitch?" I retort laughing.
            "Sorry, Jimmy, but duty comes first," Amber replies.
"Well, are you going to fuck me over this last time, or these assholes going to do the dirty work?" I ask.
She gets behind the desk, and strolls over to me. Without a word, she plunges a needle into my arm and says, "I'll see you in a bit. Night, Jimmy."
I'm about to say something else when within seconds, my body goes completely numb. I collapse to the floor as my eyelids feel like they're made out of lead. I accept this is my final seconds on this fucking Earth. I let someone into my life, and I'm paying the ultimate fucking price. I should have learned after Donnie to keep myself distant from anyone, but my heart decided I needed to let someone in. The last thing I hear before I pass out is that bitch saying, "We'll always have pancakes."

No comments:

Post a Comment