Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"The Greatest Decision"

She sits at the bar looking very lonely
Glances at the clock, time drifting slowly
Quietly places an order for another round
Her sadness is what she is trying to drown
From my table, I watch her and begin to cry
As she numbs the great feeling of being alive
The waitress warns me, “To mind my own business.
Just sit there and finish your pint of Guinness.”

By just watching I am acting like a fool
Seeing her slowly kill herself on that stool
I been down that dark path once before
I just could not watch in silence anymore
No point both of us being alone this evening
I walk over and give her a friendly greeting
I kindly ask her, “Is this seat taken?”
“If you think I’m good company, you’re mistaken.”
“There is one way to find if your answer is true,”

I reply as I sit down on the empty bar stool
She gives me a dirty look and lets out a sigh
“Not only are you drunk, but also very high.”
“Look,” I say. “What do you truly have to lose?”
“Nothing, you will give me a really good snooze.”
“Come on, I don’t even know who you truly are.”
“Trust me, this conversation will not go far.”

All of my kind words towards her seem to fail
As we both sit in silence drinking our pint of ale
She finally spoke up, “You really took a chance,
But I feel you not a loser looking for romance.
You come over here because we are both alone
Getting wasted here before we both go home.
You’re right, I really got nothing to lose anyway,
But by being sincere, you just made it a good day.”
“Thank you. I just hating seeing someone here
Crying while trying to numb their pain with beer.”

The next thing we know we are driving in a car
Not caring about the time or where we truly are
That night happened exactly three years in the past
A chance it was, but neither of us has looked back
The greatest decision I have ever made in my life
Was in that bar where I met my ever-loving wife

No comments:

Post a Comment