Saturday, October 12, 2013

Blogging Vs Social Media

As today's society tries to summarize life in 200 or less characters, I find myself rejecting this notion. Realizing that I can't summarize my life into such a small amount, I find there are three major reasons why I'm using this blog more and more to post my innermost thoughts instead of social networking sites. The first reason is social sites are fads. The second one is I don't have to censor myself as much. Finally, I have total freedom of expression here.
Yes, I see most social network sites as a fad. They come and go. When one becomes too big, another one rises, and everyone moves to the new one. An example of this is Myspace. I had one, but once Facebook took off, I deleted Myspace and strictly went Facebook. I know there's Google+, but I don't want to maintain two sites that do the same thing, Plus, there's been days I've been tempted to delete Facebook because to be honest, I get bored with it.
The second is here, I find myself not censoring my thoughts as much on here as I do on social sites. This blog is labeled as adult content for that reason. There are some topics I will avoid, but anything I do post here, I'm not going to tone down in fear of offending someone. If you don't like it, either comment or go somewhere else. A blog isn't about being popular, but a way to express your deepest dreams and ideas for the world to share.
The third one is total freedom of expression. I don't have to worry about character restrictions, word counts, etc, etc. If I wanted to, I could post my entire novel on here, and it would post. I have a Twitter, but find it annoying for I can't find myself typing out 140 characters expression how I feel some days. Facebook at time had a 420-word limit, but not any more (Tested it today with a six page, 15000 character post which I did delete). Then again, when you post a long topic, it shrinks it down with the continue reading link, and most people won't read it.
I will conclude this by saying that I find myself posting random ideas and/or stories on here more and more with each passing day for social sites are too restrictive, and won't be around forever like some sites. Also, I enjoy the fact that if you're reading this, I'm not doing for some type of popularity contests. I'm posting this for I enjoyed writing it no matter how random it seems. If you're reading this and hate it, move on for there's no unfriending here. Some times, it's better to think differently, and find better outlets to express yourself then worrying about what your social sites think about it. Not everything you do in life is popular, but all that matters is you feel like it was the right choice, and made you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment