Sunday, February 8, 2015

Back-ups Ideas

Okay, wrote this for a friend, but I figured it's some great information to share. As a novelist, the last thing I want to do is lose all my Word files.  Here's some ways I back-up my novel files outside of thumb drives and an external hard drive:

1) Smartphone - Even my last one with only a 2GB microSD card still had enough room for my Word files. You could even use the SD card itself as a backup.
2) Email - I have accounts on Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail that I will email myself a password protected zip file with the files. I started this during the 2004-2005 hurricane season.
3) Printed copy - I only do this once I'm done with the entire novel rather it be the rough draft or a full edit. I mostly do this because I've found it's easier to edit on paper, but worst case scenario, I have a non-digital copy.
4) CD-R - This is another thing once I'm done with the rought or a full edit.

Far as back-up scheduling, I do thumb drives at least weekly, and my external monthly. Everything else, I will do when I reach a milestone aka finished a chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment