Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"Living With Pits"


       As I was tied up in bed yesterday due to a nasty stomach bug, one of my dogs wouldn't leave my side. Granted, she never leaves my side, but it was nice to know she was worried about me. I think she enjoyed a lazy day in bed cuddling next to me. However, as I sat there trying to calm the tempest brewing inside my stomach, there's one thought that stayed on my mind. I was lying next to a "vicious" breed, and all she did was lick my face now and then when her 60lb frame wasn't pressed against me. So, today, with my stomach feeling somewhat better, I figured I would write a short history about my experiences with pitbulls.
      When I was growing up, I used to fear this breed. I listened to all the reports, and never gave them a chance. I always thought they would bite me the instant I tried to pet one. However, over time, my view about them changed. It took a few encounters with certain dogs being a big sweetheart that opened my eyes. Little did I know that one day, I would be a proud owner of three of them.
The first pitty I own is a lab/pit mix named Dixie:



My wife called me concerning one of the two dogs that one of her aunts was trying to find a home for. We were told it was a six month old, female, Lab / Mastiff mix. I agreed to take it in since I heard lab, and also since the other one was a Chihuahua, there was no thinking about which one to adopted.
      After a few months with her living with us, we knew she wasn't Mastiff since she barely grew at all, but got stockier. We had a feeling she was part pitbull, but didn't matter once we knew it was true. Besides barking at everything, she's a very loving, but jealous dog. You can't pet any other dog without her pushing them out of the way. Despite her quirks, she's the first pitty I ever loved, and the one that made me see it's not the breed.
      Two years later, we help raise a litter of pitbulls, and end up keeping an all-white female we named Moloko:




 She's the first full-blooded pitbull that I ever lived with. She's also the first puppy I raised, and she taught me why I never want kids: the endless sleepless nights and the constant picking up of poop. However, as she grew up, she turned out all right. She's the kind of dog that will lick your face off before even think of biting you
      She also taught me why getting dogs spayed is so critical. We had a few offers to sell / breed her when she wasn't even a year old. We got her fixed as soon as we could because we didn't want to deal with puppies ever again, and a few months later, we learned how many pitties already need a good home. Our local shelter was offering free spaying / neutering for pitbulls two months after we had her fixed, and offering free adoptions. We were upset that we could have saved money, but I was glad we did. I didn't want to think about where she or her puppies could have ended up.
      Now, less than a week ago, we did our first true rescue of a pitty. My wife saw a picture of a 3 and a half year-old female pitbull scheduled to be put down at the beginning of October. We went down the next day, and adopted Lily:



       She's a great dog, and so far, is getting along with the other two, plus our three cats. The only downside is she's my shadow. I can't go anywhere without her following me, even into the shower.
      Overall, the point I'm trying to make is don't judge a breed, but look at the owner. We didn't get these dogs to make them the mindless killing machines they can be portrayed as. We got them because they're awesome dogs. I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world, and wish I knew how cool this breed truly is a long time ago. The most dangerous thing about the breed is how bad their farts are. They can peel paint, and you never hear them. My final thought is this: If you want a pitbull or any bully breed, go to your local shelter first. I will never pay some "breeder" $1,000+ for a dog when there's plenty of them looking for a good, loving home.

1 comment:

  1. I think Lily senses you saved her life so she will now follow you everywhere and show her devotion. You're right pitbulls are a very misunderstood breed of dog. I wish their were more people like you and your wife to spread the word and save pitbulls from the needle. I laughed when I read about their silent but deadly's. You and your wife sound like two great people I would love to meet if someday I am in the Fort Lauderdale area. Take care

    ReplyDelete