Wednesday, January 8, 2014

"My American Splendor"


          So, it's finally the New Year. There are a lot of changes and new beginnings in store for this year. I thought moving to a new house was a big enough change, but Fate always has an ace up her sleeve for the poker game called your life. When you least expect it, she pulls it out, and turns your full house into a pair of deuces. You could fold your hand, but you have to lose some hands in order to get better hands. Far as my poker game, my writing hasn't gone anywhere as of yet.
            The first novel is still sitting on my drive for now. I finally got a hurdle out of the way last month, and I'm hoping to get it out by next week. I've spent too much time on it to let it only rest on my PC, and not let the world read it. It would be like baking the perfect apple pie, and tossing it into the trash. It would be a complete waste of time, money, and creativity.
           The second one hasn't been touched as much as I would like. I'm way ahead of where I was with the first one at this time, but hoping that I will finish the rough draft in a year. If not, it’s not a huge deal. I'm not making the one-year mark a deadline, but it would be cool to write a rough novel in a year or less.
I finally started on it after the holidays, but the chapter I'm on is going slower then I would like. However, found a motivation song, and I got it back on track. I'm well aware it doesn't appear to be the typical song to crank while working on a romantic drama, but it has helped me focus. Now, I need to finish this chapter to keep moving forward.
           I've done some poetry during my time off from the novels. I know it won't help me finish the second novel, but it was something to keep the creative juices flowing. Then again, it's poetry. If I'm in a poetic mood, I can knock one out in under an hour. It did get me thinking how I got a few I need to finish or rewrite, but will save that for another day. One massive project at a time though. I got sidetracked during the first novel. It's best to keep focused on one, and only go to another if it will help break a bad case of writer's block.
          All I hope for in the end is all this writing is worth it. If not, I will hold my head up high for I did finish a novel, and tried my darnest to make it successful. Until then, I'm still a 30+ year-old wannabe novelist/poet working the tech support gig to pay the bills. This is my "American Splendor", and that makes me content. Where will this year lead me? I will have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment