Monday, August 18, 2014

"The Techno Joneses"


I'm going to warn everyone now that this is a small techno-rant. It won't be filled with terms that you have to Google, so don't worry about that. It's more about how the industry is really driven, and whom they focus on the most. Also, why some things are made they way they are.
The technology industry overall isn't driven by the geeks, but the average consumer aka Joe. The reason is the average geek will only buy the technology they will actually use, and will learn everything about it. A consumer will buy every new gadget that comes but will never learn the basics. It's the electronic form of "keeping up with The Joneses".
Now, since Joe buys everything, the market is now catering towards Joe. The perfect example of this catering is Windows 8. Windows 8 was driven by the fact tablets are becoming more common then PC's in most households, and some people had shortcuts to everything on their desktop screens. Also, there are people honestly think that Start Menu is only used to turn off the PC.
Do I hate where technology is going? Overall, yes. In the old days, you had to learn the device in order do anything with it. Now, it's click this app to do what you want. This means people spend money on all this new tech, and won't even learn the basics. Instead, they will call someone else to configure their shiny new toy, and get frustrated because they can't use it.
In the end, it's all about having the toys to show off despite not needing them, much less using them to their full potential. Call me old-fashioned, but I will always prefer having a "chunky" desktop to 90% of the newest devices. Then again, I learned what I do buy, and learn everything I can about it. I don't need to show off technology, but I rather one day show off the work I've done on them when I do become a famous novelist.

No comments:

Post a Comment